Friday, June 29, 2012

She Has Arrived!

Last night found us waiting at the airport in much anticipation.

Checking flight status every minute.  "Have they landed yet???"

The clock we stared at during our wait...

And here was our first glimpse of them!  If you click on this photo, you can see Sandija waving with both hands.  :)

Sandija and her friend Liga walked together, holding hands much of the time.  We had met Liga's host family (from Tennessee), and we've made plans for the girls to Skype and get together sometime during their stay in the U.S.

And here they come!

Isn't she absolutely beautiful?!  Next to her is the director of New Horizons for Children.
She's finally with us!

And, in a moment I will never ever forget as long as I live, Sandija gave us a gift.  We were waiting in the women's bathroom, and she pulled her backpack off her back, unzipped the front zipper and pulled out these 2 things...

She pointed to the girl on this magnet and said, "Mother," and then hugged me and said, "Thank you!" It was truly a precious moment that I will always remember.

She was happy and having fun with her friend Liga in the airport.  Once they parted, she got a bit quiet but was still smiling and taking things in.  She slept the whole way home and then climbed into bed as soon as she could.  When I went to tuck her in, she was curled up in fetal position and seemed very withdrawn and lost.  I stroked her cheek and kissed her goodnight.

And then I went to my Heavenly Father, the only thing I could do.  Prayer is our lifeline.  He holds Sandija in His Hands.  And my hands and life I offered to Him: "Use me, Lord."

The house is still very quiet, as everyone is asleep.  The breakfast table is set, with a bowl of clementines and a container filled with different kinds of granola bars.  Little place cards are at each person's spot at the table, everyone learning their new place.




And my heart is full full full.  God is so good, and this is going to be a blessed summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment