Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Today's Plan

While Jesus was praying to His Father near the end of his earthly life, He said something that keeps echoing through my mind. It's something I yearn to be able to say about my own life. In John 17:4, He says, "I brought glory to you here on earth by doing everything you told me to do."



Unfortunately, unlike Jesus, I've already failed at that because there have been many things I have not done that I was supposed to do. I'm so thankful that I don't get into Heaven by the good things I do because I'd NEVER make it on my own! Thank you, Jesus, for saving me by Your grace alone, instead of my "good behavior." But I'm not talking about being saved. I'm talking about an amazing focus to aim at...having the single purpose of doing everything He has told me to do.



But, how does that break down into TODAY's plans?



Well, it's quite simple really. He's told me to love Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength and to love others as myself. Can't it be summed up like that? Isn't that what Jesus said? So, today I aim to keep Jesus in the forefront of my mind...to try to walk in His footsteps...to love my husband and children like He would. That means slowing down to listen when my mind wants to drift to my must-do's...making eye contact when I'd naturally tend to keep moving on to the next moment...praising the good I see instead of sawing on the rough edges. A simple focus does not mean it's EASY! Today specifically, we are taking the time to sit down to rethink through some family courtesy issues because the tone of voice the past few days has not been lovely between siblings. :)



These are not earth-moving plans, but it's what He's given me to do this day, this moment. If I follow Him step-by-step...if I aim with all my heart to just focus on the steps He takes and follow Him...then perhaps at the end of today I can say, "I brought glory to you here on earth by doing everything you told me to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment