Friday, January 29, 2010

The Secret Game

Starting today, our family is embarking on a week-long game of sorts. Each person chooses a "game" they will play, but nobody can know what it is. For example, let's say that I wanted my game to be called "Servant of All." I would go about my week trying to be "servant of all" to my whole family, without telling them what I was doing. I would go the extra mile to help each person. I would serve no matter how inconvenient. I would put each person ahead of myself in everything all week. At the end of the week, we will come together for our family fun night (always on Friday), and we will then get to guess what each person's "game" has been all week.

The theme of the game is up to each person. It could be patience, servanthood, unconditional love, etc. Our children had great fun coming up with their ideas. They even created code words so that they could remember their theme but also keep their idea secret from the rest of the family. The only rule is that their game must be played for the benefit of others, not themselves.

I have a really neat theme for my own game (I'll tell you next Friday). I'm finding out that it's harder than it sounds (I had the idea a few days ago and began to try to implement). It requires focus. It also cuts through any "I'll-do-this-for-you-if-you'll-do-this-for-me" because it's done in secret. And, it requires ACTIONS, which are often much harder to come by than words. Today is officially Day #1 of our game, and I've already been in prayer today that I can DO this thing! :)

I'll let you know how the week goes...

If you decide to do this in your family, I'd love to hear what games you played and how your week went!

No comments:

Post a Comment